Friday, June 25, 2010

Rain, rain go away

During the spring, I had planned to take the girls swimming as often as possible this summer, but hadn't counted on this being pretty much impossible to manage on my own. Most activities I can manage without help, but swimming is not one of them. They are too small to fit into an inner tube or floatie, so I have to hold them, and it's pretty much impossible to get them (and myself!) both into the water at the same time, let alone hold them both for however long we want to stay in. Details, details...

So, usually Paul and I take them swimming on the weekends, but any chance I have during the week to swim with someone to help me I gladly take. All week long I had made plans with a friend and her 9th grade daughter, Ellie, (whom I taught this past year) to go swimming in her backyard pool over lunch, so after eating lunch, changing the girls into their swim diapers and suits, we ventured outside and gazed up at the dark, looming clouds overhead. Thankfully, we were able to get about 30 minutes of swimming in before the rain came.

We quickly ran inside, pulled on the girls' coverups, and loaded them into their carseats for the trip home so they could nap. Caroline can't believe that we went through all that just to end up back in the car again:
Claire was shocked that her swim party was rained out! The minute we walked in the door, she began laughing when she saw Ellie and loved playing with her. The other day, she laughed and laughed when she saw her friend Cassidy also! I think she will really enjoy being one of the girls!

Caroline has accepted the sad fact that she will have to wait until next week to go swimming with Ellie again. She spent most of the lunch sitting in her car seat and "talking" just as if she were part of the lunch table conversation.

We had a great time, and hopefully next time, we'll avoid the rain and be able to stay in the pool a little longer. This is just the first of many swim play dates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment