Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Which one is which?

This afternoon we are going to take our four month pictures at John and Cassie's house (my sister and brother-in-law), so I was practicing with the girls a few poses to see how they would turn out. Claire got really into it, even perfecting the whole "arm lean" pose, but Caroline was just working on trying to keep her head up for more than 5 seconds without collapsing back onto the blanket.


Yesterday, the inevitable finally happened. I opened my latest picture order from Kodak Gallery, and as I was leafing through the stack, I paused on a picture, baffled because I couldn't figure out who was in the picture. I finally had to remember where I had placed the bouncer in the room (because I always put Claire on the right), so that helped me solve the puzzle. I wonder if I had this much trouble identifying the girls just one week after taking the picture, what will happen in five years?

My sister and I have decided that they are becoming more identical as each day passes. Last week at lunch, she thought Claire was in the infant seat next to me when it was actually Caroline. She is around the girls a lot, so that was her first time to mix them up, too! A lady at church on Sunday who also has identical girls said that her husband took one of the girls to get her ears pierced at three months so he could tell them apart. I'm not ready to do that yet, but if they continue to look more and more alike, then I may have to think of something! I may just paint one of the girls' toenails or something like that. Or maybe I'll have them wear nametags? Who knows! (For those of you who need a little help, Claire is the first pictured, and Caroline is the second). Maybe I'll start having a look-alike contest and see who can guess which baby it is!


2 comments:

  1. I could totally tell them apart when they were born and when Ava & I met them, but now they look tons more alike. This is good, because they are both adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was searching for my GF's blog and came across your interesting one about raising identical girl twins. We have twin g/g twins too and pierced their ears because we couldn't tell them apart nor could other members of the family.

    Our ped said it have become more popular to pierce newborns, infants and little girls
    ears because is safer with the newer ear piercing instruments than the traditional methods of using a needle, thread by the mother or grandmother. I talked to our ped and she said between 2mos and a year was best. She gave me some suggestions for moms having their little girls ears pierced and reassured me that she had other ID twin girls get their ears pierced too. So I got them done. We had little studs put in with locking backs on them. We put in 14 kt yellow gold balls in one girl and 14 kt white gold balls in the other. That ended all confusion as who was Sandi and who was Missy!

    Like you, I was unsure and thought about other ways to tell the girls apart. Painting their toenails required us to take off their socks to see which girl we were addressing! I saw piercing their ears as purely superficial. I said maybe I would do when they are old enough to decide if they want their ears pierced. Then, one morning recently I looked over at my husband and neither of us could agree which girl was Sandi and who was Missy. He said let’s get their ears pierced. They are ready… I am ready. So we did it.. I couldn’t have been more surprised and relieved!

    How did it go? I was so glad that it went so well. We had a bit of a crowd, everybody adding their colorful commentary. What else can you do but stare with unabated interest when two little identical girls get their ears pierced and they don’t cry! Even the lady that pierced their ears was surprised.

    I don't know if you are in the uncertain stage of whether to pierce your twin girls ears or not. However, I'd say if you unsure, I'd go ahead. I'd say if you're even remotely thinking about, then your mommy intuition is telling you how cute the girls would look. Promise, both will thank you later and not suffer from anxiety and fear when they want it done as 3-4 yrs old and remember having them done.

    If you'd like our ped's tips, write me an e-mail.

    Amy
    amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete