Sunday, May 23, 2010

Water Babies!

From the time I remember, I have always LOVED swimming and would spend my summers in our backyard pool. One of the things I looked forward to most when thinking of having kids was taking them swimming! Just getting the girls ready for the pool took much longer than I thought. We had to put on their swim diapers, put on their suits, put on their hats, get the towels, load them in the stroller, and get out the door, only to walk just a few feet to the pool. It was a good 20 minutes before we could head out the door, but, the girls knew we were going to have a fun time and they were very excited!



Thankfully, our townhomes have a really nice lap pool and a baby pool that both hardly get used, so when we go, it's rarely crowded and a perfect place to take the girls. I had been waiting for them to be a little bigger and the weather to be a little warmer to take them in the pool, and finally, yesterday seemed like the perfect day! The large pool was still in the sun a bit, so we sat in the baby pool and were able to hold the girls and bounce them on our legs or swish them through the water.

The girls seemed to like the water, and after a little while, Claire kept tipping her head back, so I decided to see if she wanted to float on her back. Sure enough, as soon as I flipped her on her back, she extended her arms and just relaxed and would fuss if I tried to upright her. She kept closing her eyes or just looking up at the sky, and I couldn't help laughing at this little 4 month old baby who loves to float!

After we packed up and headed back in, the girls instantly fell asleep, and so we'll definitely be going swimming again soon! I did figure out, though, that this is probably not an activity I can manage by myself with the girls at this point. We're still on the lookout for some floats (having bought some that wouldn't inflate!), but if I have to hold them, there is no way I can do that alone. As soon as they can sit up, I'll just inflate our baby pool and put that on our patio for them to use, but we have a little ways to go for that to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment