Friday, May 14, 2010

Shakity-Shake

Since the girls have been much more interested in toys and have reached the developmental stage of being able to hold a rattle, I realized after looking through my toy baskets that despite all the fun toys, there was not one simple rattle in the basket. After my weekly tour through Target, I gave in and bought these $2 rattles for the girls. When we got home, I wanted to see how well they would hold them and play with them. Both of them grabbed them easily and shook them a lot; it looked like they were practicing for the mariachi band! Caroline, however, seemed the most interested in the rattle, and kept bringing it to her mouth and shaking it, even hitting herself in the head with it several times.


Claire, on the other hand, kept dropping the rattle and stuffing her fists back into her mouth. I guess it's always the free entertainment that they like best!

I'm glad that the girls have discovered their hands; the entire time they have been home, we have tried off and on to see if they'll take a pacifier, and they just chew on it or let it sit in their mouth. I guess that's a good thing, and the doctor seemed to think that would save us a lot of trouble later, but I just don't think I've ever been around one baby (let alone two!) who do not want or seem to know how to take a pacifier. So, their thumbs seem to be the favorite choice, and this morning, right in the middle of our playtime with the lights blinking and music playing on the activity mat, both girls rolled to their side, stuck their thumbs in their mouths, and started to fall asleep simultaneously. It's so funny to see how many little habits and actions they do at the same time or in the same way. To me, there's nothing more beautiful and precious than watching a sleeping baby, so I love to go in and watch the girls sleep sometimes. Although I risk waking them up, it's worth it to catch a moment like this.




1 comment:

  1. Cassidy would not take a pacifier! And I tried SO hard to make her! I seriously spent at least $50 on different kinds. We went to my sisters once and she started sucking on Megan's paci's - they were the MAM ones so I went straight to Target and bought a bunch. We got home and she wouldn't have anything to do with them. Turkey. She never sucked her thumb either. I'm determined that this next little guy will take one! It's just so nice for them to be able to soothe themselves with a paci. Plus babies with a paci in their mouths are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete