Friday, March 11, 2011

The Center of Attention

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, but last week, I experienced the "perfect" situation to give my post some meaning and substance. Let me start off by saying that I'm not the type of person who enjoys the spotlight or people "noticing" things about me. When I get a haircut or a new outfit, and I know that people will notice, I semi-dread going to places where I know friends who will comment on that. I typically downplay anything new I buy or don't even talk about it because I just don't like the attention. Don't ask me why - just the way I am!

So, I guess God knew that He wanted to stretch me in this area by giving me twins...we literally cannot go anywhere without people commenting on them or asking questions about them. Just a few from the litany of questions I get EVERYWHERE we go...Are they twins? (my personal favorite, and the most common - now I have to bite my tongue to stop myself from answering sarcastically) Are they identical? Do twins run in your family? Are they girls? (another personal favorite since I dress them in pink about 95% of the time) Is it harder than just one? (come on people, are you really that naive?) I'm sure you have help, right? (Uh, right)

Then, I'll get a few comments as well...Oh look, twins...Double trouble...You have a lot on your hands...Those sure are handsome boys (I actually get this a lot - just because babies don't have much hair doesn't make them boys! On a side note, I was at a toy store and bought pink toys and the salesman, looking at my cute little "boys," was like, "Um, do you know that those are pink? (basically doubting that I know what gender my own children are!)

Most of the time, I just answer politely and move on...however, last week, a lady basically accosted me (or rather, my stroller) while asking about the twins. Here is how the conversation went:

Lady: Oh look, twins!
Me: Yes (politely saying nothing and walking quickly towards the checkout line at Target)
Lady: Are they fraternal? (as I'm turning the stroller away from her)
Me: No, they're identical (still walking quickly to the line)
Lady: Really?
Me: Yes, they are identical.
Lady: Hey, wait a minute...(at this point, she GRABS my stroller and starts to turn it back around, acting like she's the mother and I'm making it up)
Me: They are identical. (Said in quite a firm voice as I make my getaway, thinking, Lady, get your hand off my stroller!)

It doesn't matter where we go, whether it's Target, the mall, the park, church, anywhere. I know twins are not the norm, but it's not like they are unusual or warrant this much attention. I guess I (and they) are going to have to endure this for the rest of our lives! Now I know why Michael Jackson covered his kids with a blanket for so long...I don't agree with who he was, but I might have to borrow that blanket idea sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl-- I haven't read your blog in forever, but I immensely enjoyed this post. THe lady at target-really? If they look EXACTLY the same, they are identical! That's crazy! I had no idea what you endured from people. Good times! Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete