Saturday, May 26, 2012

Views from Real Life

Typically, views like these seem like they belong in a photo album on our coffee table, telling the story of a recent vacation.  However, I'll reveal our big news with the hint that this is now our real life!  It's no vacation, but these are the views of our new "backyard."  Paul took a new job opportunity in Austin, so we packed all our belongings and moved to the Lakeway area outside of Austin last weekend. 

It's been pretty new and scary because I have lived my entire life in Houston, except for four years out of state at college, and the first few days I was wondering what in the world I was doing here, but after getting my bearings a little this week, I'm doing better and feeling more like I will survive.


 We found a great deal on a condo here to lease for a while until we find a house we like - it's a small complex with no backyard neighbors, so we get to enjoy this view out the back of our place.  Every night, we have a clear view of the sunset, and I feel like I'm on vacation getting to watch that. 
 Even though we don't have a real "backyard," we have this entire landscaped and manicured green space for the girls to play, so it's the best of both worlds - lots of space, but no maintenance! 
 After putting the girls to bed, we come and sit out on our patio each night - just relaxing and taking in the views.  Everywhere you drive here, and most of the restaurants and neighborhoods, all have views of sweeping valleys and homes built into the side of the hills.  Since we're close to the lake, we get a constant breeze which really helps to cool things off.  The views and neighborhoods remind me a lot of California, but it's even better because we're still in Texas! 
Our pastor in Houston was just finishing a series on taking a step out of the boat in the midst of the storm, and some days have felt like that, but without risk, no gains can be experienced.  This is a big leap of faith for all of us, but we have felt God's hand in the entire process and know that there is a reason we are here.  We miss my family and friends, but this opportunity is a great one at this time in our lives for our family, and I'm not definitely not missing that Houston flatness and humidity one bit! 

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you didn't announce this earlier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea y'all had moved! Congratulations! Personally, we're jealous! Lakeway/Austin is awesome. With my entire family now in the hill country, we'd love to follow suit! I hope you're enjoying it and settling in - there are some amazing churches up there I hear.

    ReplyDelete