Thursday, July 15, 2010

No Solids Allowed

I have to report that trying to introduce solids to twins is much harder than I imagined! Just one baby has her likes and dislikes and little tricks she tries to avoid eating, but try managing two of them at once, and that is enough to make anyone want to go take a nap!

We try cereal and a little fruit in the mornings and at lunch, and they seem a little more eager in the morning, maybe because they are hungrier. I have to set up two of everything: spoons, bowls of cereal, bowls of fruit, bibs, wet paper towels, bottles, bouncers, Bumbos, and I'm sure I'm missing something in this list...once I get all of that set up, I wake up the girls, change them, then set them in their Bumbos, praying that they won't start crying to get out. Mostly, they like to stare at the leg divider on the Bumbo, making it really hard for me to get a spoon in their mouth.
Claire is now getting a little tooth in the bottom, and she seems a little more eager to eat than Caroline, but I still wouldn't classify her as a "good eater" yet. She likes to eat what's off the spoon, decide if she likes it, then usually spit it back out and look down again at the Bumbo, therefore spilling most of the contents onto the Bumbo or the table.

While I'm trying to wipe Claire's mess and keep the food from spilling all over everything, Caroline stares at me like I'm crazy to think she'll even think about eating anything other than milk. She has started sticking her tongue out and sets her jaw forward as soon as she sees me put the spoon into the cereal or fruit, creating a little barrier to her mouth, taunting me as if to say, "Just try and see if you can get anything in this mouth."
By the end of the feeding session, after I've wiped them off and cleared the table of all the bowls and napkins and spoons, they look at me like, "Now did we really need to go through all of that? Just give us our bottle and we'll be fine." So far, we've tried bananas and apples, and we're moving on to some veggies this weekend...I'm just hoping they'll open their mouths at this point so I can try to get something in! Feeding time = not an easy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment