Thursday, July 8, 2010

Happy Half-Birthday!

When I was growing up, our family began celebrating "half-birthdays" sometime when I was in junior high or high school. I think my Mom heard the idea on the radio, so being a fan of all things holiday, she decided to add this celebration to the mix. Every year on our "Happy Half-Birthday," we got to choose a meal for my Mom to make for us, and she would serve us on the "You are Special" dinner plate, and then our family would sing, "You're the best, You're the best, You're the B-E-S-T Best!" to whomever's big day it was. Or, sometimes we would break out into "Happy Half Birthday to You!" if we were really getting into it. No presents were exchanged, but it was just a chance to celebrate the halfway mark of that year and the upcoming birthday of someone special.

When Paul and John joined our family, they rolled their eyes at the idea, but secretly, I'm sure they were very excited to have their Happy Half-Birthdays celebrated, too. I mean, who wouldn't be? I think last year, I forgot Paul's half-birthday, and he actually reminded me that I had forgotten, so that just proves right there that he loves it!
Now that you have the background, today is the twin's FIRST Happy Half-Birthday!!!! The girls are now six months old, and doing just great. We head to the doctor this afternoon for their last round of newborn shots and some much-needed advice on cereal feeding for Mom. The girls are all smiles now and can push up far on their stomachs.
To celebrate their Happy Half-Birthdays, the girls asked if they could wear their cupcake outfits, so of course I obliged.
Looking just alike, my little cupcakes are ready to celebrate their big day...I didn't tell them that they won't be having such a great afternoon with those shots. I'll let them celebrate this morning without having to worry about later. Happy Six Months to the Culbertson girls! It's flown by and I can't believe how much they've grown and changed. I know the next six months will be full of fun and changes as they begin to crawl and eventually walk. I'm enjoying every minute and hoping it doesn't go by too quickly. This year, I guess I'm off the hook as far as cooking their favorite dinner, so I better enjoy this one! Happy Half-Birthday, Caroline and Claire!

No comments:

Post a Comment