Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Not Can I, but Will I?

So apparently I've been asking Caroline the wrong question over the last couple of months. All this time, I didn't think she was able to walk, but this past weekend proved me wrong. I've been helping her and trying to push her to walk as much as she can, but when it comes down to it, she can, but she's just decided she won't.

About three weeks ago, we went to go swimming with a friend of mine who has a highschool daughter, and while I was in the back changing Claire, I could hear the daughter encouraging Caroline to walk. I rushed back in there, and sure enough, she was walking all over the room with my friend's daughter. I missed her first steps, but as soon as she saw me, she sat back down again. Hmmmm...I wondered how long she had been able to do that, but just didn't choose to show me her ability. I think much of the time, she prefers to lounge around, but I know better - those legs work!
After we got home, I coaxed and coaxed her, but nothing. As soon as I would stand her up, she would just sit back down again and start whining. She's definitely got a little plotting up her sleeve!

Then, this past Saturday, I thought I'd try it again...well, she decides to walk all over the house for a good hour or two, happy with herself and so excited. She wasn't even wobbly; it was like she had been walking for weeks, and it wasn't even a few steps at a time - she was walking like she had a place to go. We did capture all of that on video just for proof, because sure enough, since Saturday, she REFUSES to walk. She prefers her tried and true method of scooting on the floor. I can't keep count now of how many shorts and onesies she's gotten a hole in because of all her scooting. I think she'll be scooting off to kindergarten soon enough.


Ultimately, this has been a "letting go" learning situation for Mommy, and hopefully one of these days, she'll decide she prefers walking to scooting. I guess that's how we all are - we don't like change, and we don't like to be uncomfortable. One of these days she'll decide she's ready,but I can't do a thing to change her mind earlier, so I'm just enjoying the last of her lounging days while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment